Lavender plant ( Lavandula angustifolia ), is one of the most well-known medicinal plants and used from the a long time, one of the indispensable ones in the popular medicine due to the medicinal properties and benefits that it offers to take care and to maintain our health in natural form.
Used Parts : Dry flowers
The Lavender plant is a perennial woody shrub with showy violet or bluish-shaped spikes with a very characteristic and pleasant aroma. It is found in the Mediterranean.
Properties of the Lavender or Espliego (Lavandula angustifolia)
Lavender oil contains linalool, linaline, camphor, limonene, tannins,boreol, curaines and saponins
The Espliego is a medicinal plant that has a diuretic, anlagésico, antiseptic, relaxing, carminative, insecticidal, cholagogue, healing, antirheumatic, antibacterial, antiviral, blood circulation stimulating and skin regenerating effect.
What is Lavender or Espliego and its benefits?
- Used to relax and relieve emotional and physical stress
- Improves blood circulation
- It favors the functioning of the nervous system
- It is used to eliminate acne
- Relieves pain thanks to its analgesic action
- Improves throat conditions
- Helps to heal wounds and disinfect them
- Lavender helps to reduce fever
- It facilitates the elimination of accumulated gasses
- Fights nausea
- Excellent remedy for rheumatism
- Stabilizes the formation of bile, which will help the digestion of fats
- Relieves headache
- Helps us to improve digestions
- Reduces or eliminates muscle tension and muscle spasms
- It is a natural remedy to combat insomnia
- The Espliego is very useful for the recovery of blows, sprains, injuries, inflammations, etc.
- Improves cases of asthma, cold and influenza
- Prevents hair loss by externally applying Espliego infusion
- Has tonic action on the liver and spleen
- Use for stomach cramps and swollen gut
- It is a natural remedy for gout
- Espliego is used to removing the fungus Candida albicans and bacteria that cause vaginal infections.
[ YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN : Natural Pesticides ]
How to use Lavender or Espliego
We must collect it when the flowering period begins and dry it by making bundles that we will hang upside down in a room that is ventilated, dark and fresh, but that has no humidity and does not receive direct light. This way we will leave them dry and we can use the dry leaves throughout the year.
We can use lavender in cooking recipes, especially flowers in salads and other cold and tempered dishes, as well as in desserts and even drinks, such as making a lemonade and adding a tablespoon for each liter and a half.
Also, we can put some lavender in bags made of cloth and leave them in the closets and cobblers. With this in addition to obtaining a pleasant smell, we will get rid of the moths.
With Lavender, we also make colonies, like these and eliminate bad odors from carpets, sofas and curtains.
In natural and homemade cosmetics Lavender is also very useful. Takes care of the skins and keeps it in good condition.
The lavender infusion can be used to make mouthwashes and help eliminate bad breath or halitosis.
Have you had a hard day? Relax with a hot bath by adding a couple of handfuls of lavender. Another option is to throw two tablespoons of lavender in a bowl or large container and add hot water. We put our feet and we will also notice the improvement.
Lavender is used in infusion for migraine headaches by taking 1 cup of standard infusion of flowers 3 times a day and, if you drink 1 cup before bed, it can help you to relieve insomnia . It is also appropriate as a digestive after food.
In tincture , up to 5 ml (1 teaspoon) a day can be taken for migraines , depression or nervous tension.Lavender also serves to calm asthma, especially in attacks triggered by nervous tension, and stress .
However, the most widespread application of lavender is as essential oil , for which there are three different ways of taking advantage of it:
Apply pure oil to insect bites or bites, or add 10 drops to 50 ml of water and use it as a sunburn lotion. To help you fall asleep, place a cloth with 3-4 drops of oil under the pillow.
Massage oil. Dilute 2 ml (20 drops) of essential oil in 10 ml of base oil to relieve muscle aches. Rub the temples and the neck in case of tension headaches or when you notice the least sign of the migraine.
Capillary rinse . Dilute 20 drops of essential oil in a pitcher of water to get a good capillary rinse for lice. Apply a few drops of pure oil to the comb with which larvae and nits are removed.
Lavender, as a medicinal plant, has many uses:
- Cell re-generator
- Helps to relieve the symptoms of flu and cold …
- It has great antiseptic power.
- In a recent burn it helps to prevent the appearance of blisters, as well as to regenerate the tissues.
- It is as an anti-inflammatory
- It is widely used, especially in rheumatic or arthritis processes, since lavender plant helps to relax and calm the pain.
Other uses of the Espliego plant
The lavender flower, strongly aromatic, is used, as a natural freshener, as a repellent of moths. A lavender tonic is also made with aloe vera that has cooling, cleansing and toning properties to smooth the skin of our body.