Coriandrum sativum plants (coriander) provide two types of herbal raw materials – fruits and leaves. Though the whole plant is edible, coriander is majorly known for its medicinal or therapeutic properties because of which cilantro tea,oil,leaves and seeds are used as a home remedy for the treatment of many ailments and diseases.
Cilantro was found in Nahal Hemar Cave,and is believed to have been inhabited 8,000 years ago in Israel. Coriander seeds were found sprinkled throughout Tutankhamen’s Tomb, Egypt (King of a widespread ancient civilization).
How to Use Coriander Leaves (Cilantro) ?
Cilantro leaves are dark green, smooth, hairless, soft and vary in shape. The leaves of coriander (Cilantro) contain beneficial flavonoids, polyphenols and phenolic acids. The immature leaves and fruits of cilantro have an unpleasant odor due to the presence of trans-tridecen components in its essential oil.
An alcohol extract of coriander produces an antioxidant action which is equivalent to other commercial antioxidants.
Coriander Leaves for Making Tea
Also known as Corridor plant, Chinese Parsley, Cilantro, Coriander, and Koriandrum, this plant/herb is one of the lesser used culinary herbs. Cilantro is actually the leaves and stems of the plant. Cilantro tea is generally made from fresh or dried leaves chopped and infused with leaves and stems of the plant.
In ancient civilizations, cilantro tea was used to ease indigestion and prevent wound infection. In Egypt, cilantro was placed in Pharaohs’ tombs, presumably to prevent indigestion in the afterlife.
Cilantro Tea Preparation
First you need to buy a tea infuser for making tea from fresh leaves of Cilantro or dried leaves. If you don’t have a tea infuser, you can simply boil its leaves in a sauce pan, covered with a lid. Strain the tea leaves after 10 minutes of boiling. Place your fresh or dried cilantro leaves into an infuser and place it on a heat safe bowel or cup. Fill this bowel or cup with boiling water and let its leaves steep for 5 to 10 minutes. After steeping, pour the tea in a teacup. You can add honey or sugar as per your need to flavor the tea. You can also add lemon to enhance the flavor of Cilantro tea.
Benefits of Cilantro Tea
- Cilantro tea is used to stimulate appetite, improve digestion and heal stomach discomfort, such as diarrhea and flatulence.
- Cilantro is beneficial in treating colic in babies and has been used to treat poisoning by means of chelation therapy.
- Cilantro tea may also help control blood sugar, lower cholesterol levels, and relieve diabetes. It has been used to treat fever, chills, and vomiting.
- In the past it was also used to treat urinary tract infections and headaches.
Side Effects of Cilantro Tea for Pregnant Women
- Cilantro tea should not be used during pregnancy, as it may increase chances of a miscarriage.
- It may also reduce the chances of conception if a woman is trying to become pregnant.
[ DO YOU KNOW : CORIANDRUM SATIVUM CAN BE USED AS A NATURAL WATER PURIFIER ]
Other Uses of Cilantro Leaves
- Buttermilk mixed with two teaspoons of coriander juice works as an effective natural cure for nausea and indigestion.
- Prepare an infusion by boiling a teaspoon of cumin seeds in a cup of water and add a teaspoon of coriander juice with a pinch of salt in it. Consume this solution two times a day after meals to help control diarrhea naturally.
- Consuming a combination of rose water and juice extracted from coriander leaves can help cure cough and bronchitis symptoms.Have a sip of Coriander tea in the night before going to bed.This will help in the treatment of bed wetting.
- Crush 20 g coriander leaves with small amounts of camphor and use the juice as nasal drops to stop nose bleeds. If camphor is not available then just use fresh coriander leaf juice.
- You can also gargle with coriander tea (when it is bearably hot) to heal mouth ulcers.
- Coriander tea prepared by steeping two teaspoons of coriander seeds in a cup of warm water is used for treating anemia in many parts of the world. This home remedy is helpful in reducing kidney problems and osteoporosis as well.
- Applying fresh coriander juice on the forehead is used in relieving headaches. You can also apply a paste by mixing powdered coriander seeds, sandalwood paste and some water.
Cilantro For Skin
- Crush some fresh coriander leaves and add some water in it to form a paste. Use this paste on skin to get rid of rashes. You can mix honey as well.
- Applying a combination of one teaspoon of coriander juice and turmeric can help you get rid of pimples and blackheads.
- Cilantro herb is a boon for people with oily skin. Its juice can absorb excessive oil from your skin and thus, can give you an even and dry skin texture. It removes the dead skin cells of your body and promotes the production of new cells.
- As cilantro slows down the process of aging, it gives you a younger looking skin as well. This herb is rich in antioxidants, which help in preventing free radicals that damage the skin cells. Cilantro, helps treat several skin conditions like wrinkles, pigmentation and sagging skin.
- Our lips lose their natural color due to the excessive use of lipsticks and lip balms. Cilantro can be used to exfoliate your lips by removing the dead skin cells from your lips as well. You can restore your lip color by using cilantro juice on your lips.
Cilantro Benefits For Hair
- This natural herb can give you beautiful and voluminous hair. Cilantro contains all the essential vitamins and proteins required for hair growth. It has vitamin A, C & K, which helps in strengthening the roots of your hair by giving them proper nutrition. Cilantro promotes new hair growth. The anti-microbial properties of cilantro can thoroughly cleanse your scalp, and is thus often used for preventing dandruff. This dandruff treatment reduces hair fall naturally.
- Cilantro works as a natural hair conditioner and gives your hair a more stunning and shining look. It treats oily scalp and helps in getting rid of dry and frizzy hair.
How to Use Cilantro Seeds (Coriander) ?
The Coriander seeds are tiny, yellowish-brown, round to oval with vertical ridges and have a flavor that is aromatic, sweet and citrus.
Benefits of Coriander
- Drinking an infusion prepared by boiling a teaspoon of coriander seed powder in a cup of water is one of the simplest coriander home remedies for indigestion.
- When dealing with stomach pain and gas, take equal amounts of ginger, grated coconut and dry coriander seeds. Blend these ingredients well to form a paste. Add salt according to your taste. Consume this home medicine along with cooked rice and forget all gas related issues.
- Boil two teaspoons of powdered coriander seeds in a cup of water and drink the solution daily to lower your blood cholesterol levels.
- Individuals suffering from the problem of vertigo can prepare a solution by soaking one teaspoon of coriander seeds and one table spoon of dried Emblic Myrobalan (amla) powder in a glass of water. This solution is left overnight to mature. Next day, in the morning, strain the liquid, add a little sugar for taste and drink the solution.
- Boil a cup of water and add a teaspoon of coriander seeds in it. Let the solution steep for about 15-20 minutes. Cool and strain the liquid. Washing the eyes with this decoction is an excellent natural remedy to reduce eye irritation and swelling associated with pink eye.
- Another health benefit of coriander is that it helps in dealing with heavy menstruation flow due to hormone balancing defect. For this, you need to boil half a liter of water along with approximately 6 g of coriander seeds. Add some sugar in it and drink the solution when it is comfortably warm. Consume this home medicine 2-3 times in a day.
Cilantro Detoxifies Heavy Metals as well
Heavy metals like arsenic, cadmium, aluminum, lead, and mercury can become resident in our tissues and may cause heart diseases, hormonal imbalances, neurological conditions, infertility, and much more. Cilantro has shown the mechanism to :
- Bind these toxic metals together
- Loosen them from the body tissues
- Facilitate the elimination of these toxic metals from the body
Coriandrum sativum significantly protects against lead induced oxidative stress and accelerates the removal of heavy metals from the body.
Heavy Metal Detoxify Preparation
- To make a cilantro heavy metal detoxifier, you simply need to grind fresh cilantro leaves and make a paste out of the fresh leaves.
- Add this paste to a glass of water and add lemon juice to flavor. You can also add some mint with cilantro leaves while grinding for a refreshing and chilly experience.
- Drink this solution daily so that your body eliminates heavy metals from your body.
Uses of Cilantro Oil
- You can use cilantro essential oil daily for a cleansing regimen.
- You can also use cilantro oil to stir fries, salads, and dips. You will be able to experience Cilantro’s distinct flavor along with other internal health benefits offered by cilantro.
- You can also try to diffuse cilantro oil with citrus essential oils for a fresh, herbal aroma. This essential oil can be applied to minor skin irritations as it contains antiseptic, antibacterial and anti fungal properties.
- You can dilute coriander oil with fractionated coconut oil and apply it to the bottoms of your feet to help your body in detoxification.