The syllables of the gayatri mantra are said to positively affect all the chakras or energy centers in the human body. Hence, proper pronunciation and enunciation of the mantra is very important to activate chakras in your body.
Scientists have investigated the vibrations produced by the gayatri mantra and have found that when this mantra is recited with correct pronunciation, as laid down in the Vedas, the atmosphere around becomes visibly illumined. When this mantra is chanted, it is said that Brahma-prakāsha, the Divine Effulgence, will descend on you, illuminate your intellect and light your path. Also repeating shanti, thrice at the end, of the repetition will give shanti or peace to the three entities in you viz body, mind, and soul and even help in activating the chakras of your body.
The masters of Mantra Vidya know that when we speak, the words are uttered by different parts of our mouth such as, throat (larynx), tongue, teeth, lips and the root of our tongue. During speech, the nerve-fibers of the mouth, from which the sound emits, stretch different parts of our body and pressurize the corresponding glands. If a particular gland, gets diseased or dysfunctional, we start stammering when we speak those specific words. There are many large and small, visible and invisible glands in our body. Yogis know that some specific energies, are hidden in all of these glands. Different words have different impacts on different glands, because of which, the energy of these glands gets stimulated.
How this science to activate chakra works?
There are twenty-four letters in the Gayatri-Mantra which are related to twenty-four such glands located in the body which, on getting stimulated, activate and awaken the powers of righteous wisdom and enlightenment. By chanting the Gayatri Mantra, the sitar of the subtle (Sookshma) body, and the Sadhak can activate chakras in the process, tinkling twenty-four different points of our body, and creating sound waves which affect the important elements of the invisible world. It is this impact on the important elements which becomes more and more pronounced and tangible through regular chanting of the Gayatri Mantra.
The flow of sound of these twenty-four letters of the Maha Mantra is of deep significance. The experts of the science of sound, know the powers hidden in sound and the results which can be achieved by its subtle vibrations. Sound is synonymous with Brahma. It is Brahma from whom the original creative vibration is generated, which is equivalent to seven-times chanting of OM. Just as the pendulum of a clock keeps on moving by swinging to and fro, the sound waves of Om create vibrations which regulate this creation.
These vibrations lead to generation of the three main waves of Sat, Raj and Tam related to Hreem, Shreem and Kleem elements respectively. It further gets divided into branches and sub-branches which are known as Beej-Mantras. The letters, words and clauses of the Gayatri Mantra have been analysed by seer vision. The vibrations generated due to the gayatri mantra, emanate from the unified field of creative energy, and are arranged in a specific, special sequence forming a large number of inter-relationships. The Gayatri-mantra when Chanted with sincere devotion, plugs the sadhak’s soul into the supreme and inexhaustible fountain of spiritual energy. For example, Singing of the Deepak-rag with sincere devotion lights up extinguished lamps. Similarly a practitioner can light the lamps present in the body i.e the practitioner can activate Chakras by chanting the proper mantras.
It starts raining when the megh-malhar tune is sung. The warbling of cuckoo incites passion in men as well as women. Even strong iron bridges may collapse by the sound vibrations created by the in-step, coordinated and rhythmic marching of troop soldiers. This is the reason why armies are forbidden to march rhythmically, in-step, while crossing bridges. Dr. Hutchinson of America has achieved success and fame by curing several patients suffering from incurable and painful diseases, with the help of different musical sounds and vibrations. In India, Tantriks keep a Thali (large metallic plate) on a pot and play it like a drum, in a special rhythm.
They are capable of curing persons bitten by poisonous snakes and scorpions. They are also capable of healing those suffering from thyroid goitre, Vishvel (poisonous creeper), ghosts, phobia, etc. The vibrations of a specific sound spread in the ether, attract atoms of similar type and return to their origin position within a few moments, duly charged with appropriate energy which has a curative impact on the appropriate area.
This is how Mantras have miraculous effects. The chanting of Gayatri Mantra activates a network of nerves in the mouth which in turn stimulates specific glands. As soon as the glands get stimulated, a Vedic symphony is created which spreads in the ether, takes a round of the entire universe and comes back to its source with its energy augmented manifold.
The basis of hypnotism is to get the desired work done by the subject just by infusing faith in him. The Mantra of a Tantrik works miraculously on the patient only if he has deep faith in it. A Sadhak devoid of faith may utter a Tantrik Mantra hundreds of times but it will not have any effect on him. This fact applies to Gayatri Mantra as well. When the Sadhak takes up Sadhana with faith and confidence, Gayatri Mantra becomes much more effective and proves to be extra-ordinarily powerful due to the combined effect of faith and the Mantra’s own intrinsic spiritual energy. The sketch below depicts which particular letter of Gayatri is related to which part of the body.
Activate chakras with Gayatri Mantra Meditation
Preferably in the morning before sunrise, sit straight with your head, neck and trunk aligned in a straight posture. Let your body and breath relax. Pay attention to the incoming and outgoing of your breaths. Continue breathing until a soft and rhythmical abdominal breathing gets established. Follow the energy centers systematically in ascending order, in the central channel, of the space behind the abdominal wall and the space in front of the spinal column
- Muladhara Chakra (Root chakra): Bring your attention to the tail bone and the pubic bone in the front, i.e. the pelvic floor area of your body. Slightly contract the pelvic floor to deepen your awareness of the region. Visualize the Sun, reddish, soft and gentle as it appears at the crack of dawn. Silently recite the Gayatri Mantra.
- Svadhishthana Chakra (Sacrum Chakra): In order to deepen your awareness of this Chakra, slightly contract the space between the sacrum at the back and the procreative organ in the front. Visualize the Sun moving up from the Muladhara Chakra into the Svadhishthana Chakra. Silently recite the Gayatri mantra.
- Manipura Chakra (Navel Center): In order to deepen the awareness of this Chakra region focus your attention on the space between your navel and the lumbar region. Exhaling while gently pulling in the navel can sharpen your concentration on the Manipura region. Visualize the sun, as it would shine an hour or two later after the sunrise. Visualize the sun moving up from the Svadhishthana Chakra into the Manipura Chakra. Silently recite the Gayatri mantra. This will activate the chakra of the Sun.
- Anahata Chakra (Heart Center): In order to deepen your awareness, concentrate your attention on the space between the heart region in the front and the spinal discs between your shoulder blades. Visualize large bright Sun rising from the Manipura Chakra through the central channel to the center of the heart area. Silently recite the Gayatri mantra.
- Vishuddha Chakra (Throat Chakra): Bring your attention to the space between the pit of your throat and the spinal column right behind.it. Visualize the Sun moving up from the Anahata Chakra up to the Vishuddha Chakra. Silently recite the Gayatri mantra.
- Talu Chakra/ Lalana Chakra (Uvula/soft palate center): Deepen your awareness on the space between the uvula/soft palate in the front and your neck discs in the posterior. Visualize the Sun moving up from the Vishuddha Chakra through the central channel up to the uvula/soft palate. Silently recite Gayatri mantra.
- Ajnya Chakra (The Eye-Brow Center): Deepen your awareness on the space from behind the eye-brow center to the Occiput area/cervical discs in your back. Visualize the Sun moving up from the Talu Chakra through the central channel up to the Ajnya Chakra. Silently recite Gayatri mantra. This will activate the chakra of the third eye.
- Sahasrara Chakra (The Crown Chakra): Deepen your awareness of and around the crown of your head. Visualize the Sun moving up through the central channel from Ajnya Chakra to Sahasrara Chakra. Visualize the brilliant sun with its rays spreading out like thousand petals of lotus into the space beyond. Silently recite the Gayatri mantra. This will activate the chakra which connects us with the cosmos.
You may end your Gayatri mantra Chakra practice at this point. You may do as many rounds as you like depending upon the time you have.
How to Open Third Eye with Gayatri Mantra Meditation
Below are the step-by-step instructions on how to do this meditation in order to open the Third Eye Chakra:
- Sit in any cross legged posture you like. You can also do this meditation on a chair.
- Elongate your spine and tuck your chin in slightly (like a soldier at attention). Bring your hands in Gyan mudra. Then, rest your wrists gently on your knees, with your palms pointing in the upward direction.
- Close your eyes and turn them upwards such that you looking through the center of your forehead. This is Shambhavi mudra. Do this mudra for as long as it is comfortable.Don’t Over-do it. Release your eyes whenever necessary and continue with the meditation, reapplying it when ready.
- Start chanting the Gayatri Mantra mentally. Visualize the vibrations emanating out from your Third Eye, Chakra Point.
- Continue to chant the mantra silently. You can do this meditation for as long as you like. Start with 3 minutes and build up with time and regular practice.
Activate Chakras with the Gayatri Mantra Kriya
The following is a long version of the Gayatri-Mantra, which helps us activate chakras and the lokhas (heavens) in our awareness, which leads us to enlightenment. It may be practiced with or without the kriyas (actions). Kriyas are said to connect us with our atman (soul) and activate chakras. The kriyas should be practiced with the right hand only. Open your hand with the palm facing in the upward direction. When using the kriyas, it is recommended that you repeat the mantra three times and then continue repeating either the long or short version of the Gayatri mantra at least ten more times without the kriyas.