The terms heartburn, acidity,acid reflux, and GERD(Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease) are often used interchangeably. They actually have very different meanings.
Acid reflux is a common medical condition that can range in severity from mild to serious. Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is the chronic, more severe form of acid reflux. Heartburn or acidity is a symptom of acid reflux and GERD.
The term “ heartburn ” is misleading.
Heartburn actually has nothing to do with the pain. Heartburn occurs in your digestive system. Specifically, in your esophagus. Heartburn involves mild to severe pain in the chest. It is sometimes mistaken for heart attack pain.
The lining of your esophagus is more delicate than the lining of your stomach. So, the acid in your esophagus causes a burning sensation in your chest. The pain can be sharp, burning, or like a tightening sensation. Heartburn usually occurs after eating. Bending over or lying down can make it worse. Fortunately there are some home natural remedies which will relieve you of pain.
The soothing and carminative properties of basil leaves can give you instant relief from acidity, gas and nausea.Simply eat some basil leaves at the first sign of acidity. Be sure to chew them thoroughly.Another option is to boil three to five basil leaves in a cup of water and then let it simmer for a few minutes. You can sweeten this basil tea with honey. Do not add milk, though. Sip it frequently.
Another simple home remedy for acidity is buttermilk. It contains lactic acid that normalizes the acidity in the stomach. You can buy buttermilk or make it yourself.
- Grind half to one teaspoon of fenugreek seeds with a little water to make a paste. Mix it in a glass of plain buttermilk, also called chaas, and consume it to relieve stomach ache caused by acidity.
- Or, you can simply drink plain buttermilk several times a day until you get relief. Mix in a little black pepper or one teaspoon of ground coriander leaves for best results.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Though acidic in nature, apple cider vinegar has an alkalizing effect. Thus, it helps treat stomach acidity.
- Simply mix one or two teaspoons of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar in a cup of water.
- Drink it once or twice a day. You can also drink it before meals.
Cloves can help alleviate acidity and dispel gas due to their carminative effect that increases hydro-chloric acid in the stomach. Contrary to the popular belief, acidity can be caused due to low stomach acid too.
- Chew two to three cloves thoroughly so that the juices are released into your system.
- Eating crushed cloves and cardamom mixed in equal amounts can help minimize acid trouble and freshen bad breath that often accompanies this problem
Cumin seeds can also be used to treat acidity as cumin is as a great acid neutralizer. It also aids in digestion and relieves stomach pain.
- Slightly crush some roasted cumin seeds and stir it into a glass of water. Drink it after every meal.
- You can also boil one teaspoon of cumin seeds in a cup of water, strain it and then drink the water after your meal.
- Another option is to mix one teaspoon each of coriander seed powder, cumin seed powder, fennel seed powder and some sugar in one-half cup of water. Drink it on an empty stomach.